The recall involves all styles and sizes of Roman shades and roll-up blinds sold by Lowe's - about 6 million shades and 5 million roll-up blinds.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission says two children became entangled in the exposed cord found on the backside of Roman shades while looking out of windows.
In a 2009 incident, a 2-year-old boy in Colorado was found with the inner cord wrapped around his arm and neck. The following year, a 4-year-old boy from South Carolina suffered a rope burn to his neck after getting tangled in the cord of a shade.
The recalled shades and blinds were sold at Lowe's stores, other retail stores and at www.lowes.com since at least 1999 through June of this year.
Consumers are advised to stop using the recalled products and contact the Window Covering Safety Council (WCSC) for repair kits at 800-506-4636 or visit www.windowcoverings.org.
Lowe's Home Centers Inc. is based in Wilkesboro, N.C., and Lowe's HIW Inc. is in Tukwila, Wash.
Consumer Product Safety Commission: http://www.cpsc.gov