Philadelphia police investigate fight caught on video at Franklin Towne Charter High School

A 16-year-old male, who does not attend Franklin Towne Charter, arrived at the school and was assaulted by several students.

Sunday, February 4, 2024
Philadelphia police investigate fight caught on video at Franklin Towne Charter High School
Philadelphia police investigate fight caught on video at Franklin Towne Charter High School

PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police are investigating a video circulating the internet of a fight that broke out at a high school in the city's Bridesburg section.

Police say they responded to an incident at Franklin Towne Charter High School on the 5300 block of Tacony Street around 2 p.m. Friday.

According to investigators, a 16-year-old male who does not attend the school arrived on campus just after dismissal time and was assaulted by several students.

Medics took the teen to St. Christopher's Children's Hospital, where he received treatment for minor cuts, bruises, and a possible concussion, police said.

The teen has since been treated and released from the hospital.

Additionally, a video has been circulating the internet of the fight.

The footage shows what appears to be two teens being brutally beaten.

Police say they are aware of the video and are investigating it further.

Action News reached out to investigators about the second person seemingly assaulted in the video, but we have not heard back.

No charges have been announced at this time.

Meanwhile, residents in the community are expressing concern over the incident.

"It's terrifying. I went to Franklin Towne, I've never seen something like that happen at such a gated school," said Breanna.

"It gives us parents and old alumni concern, like, what's happening with our school system?" she questioned.

Breanna says her brother attends the high school. She told Action News she's terrified for his safety and anxious about the school's response.

"There's tons of rumors going around and Franklin Towne's just not responding," she said.

She also expressed her worry over the school's security.

"They pride themselves on having such high security, but then that happens right in front of their gates. It's a little concerning," Breanna said. "I don't even want him to go there anymore if this is how they treat altercations."

Action News has reached out to Franklin Towne Charter High School, which said it is taking the matter seriously.

In a statement, the school's spokesperson wrote in part:

"School officials and arsenal security personnel responded promptly to the situation. By the time they arrived, most of the persons involved had dispersed.

Franklin Towne Charter High School is committed to the safety and well-being of all our students. We are in the process of reviewing all relevant information and are cooperating fully with the Philadelphia Police Department.

We understand the concern this situation has caused our community and appreciate the support of our families and local authorities in ensuring our school remains a safe environment for education.

Further updates will be provided, as we prepare for the safe opening of school on Monday."