'Fort Dix' judge upholds convictions

March 5, 2009 9:36:23 AM PST
A judge in New Jersey has upheld guilty verdicts against five Muslim immigrants convicted last year of plotting to massacre U.S. soldiers. The men's lawyers argued that the federal government's claims against their clients were not supported by evidence.

But a federal judge in Camden disagreed and has ruled the jury was right to convict them in December. He said the men received a fair trial.

Relatives and several of the men yelled, "Allah akbar" Arabic for "God is great" - in the courtroom after Thursday's ruling.

The government says the men discussed attacking soldiers on the Army's Fort Dix. The men say they didn't seriously plan anything and they were manipulated by two paid FBI informants.

The men could get life in prison when they're sentenced next month.

CLICK HERE to follow Action News on Twitter

CLICK HERE to get Action News on your website

CLICK HERE to find Action News on Facebook

Click here to get the latest Philadelphia news and headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.


Load Comments