Con Ed pays nearly 90 victims following NYC blast

Firefighters work the scene of an explosion that leveled two apartment buildings in the East Harlem neighborhood of New York, Wednesday, March 12, 2014. (AP Photo/Jeremy Sailing)

March 20, 2014 8:36:14 AM PDT
Con Edison has made compensation payments to nearly 90 survivors and residents displaced by the fatal explosion last week in New York City.

According to The Wall Street Journal, the payments came a day after federal investigators found a leak in the gas main near one of the two East Harlem apartment buildings that were leveled.

Eight people were killed and more than 60 people were injured. The cause of the blast has not been determined.

Con Ed spokesman Robert McGree says the company made 87 payments to people who were injured or lost their homes. He declined to provide the average amount paid for each victim.

He says the payments were made after "one-on-one" meetings with the victims.

Load Comments