Container gas leak kills 3

May 20, 2008 6:28:56 AM PDT
Authorities say three people died after refrigerated gas leaked from a shipping container on a cargo ship at Florida's Port Everglades.

Broward County sheriff's officials say the three were found unresponsive after emergency workers received a call early Tuesday about the leak in an argon gas container. Argon is a colorless, odorless gas. Although it's not toxic, it can cause suffocation in a contained space.

The shipping container is in a secured area of the Fort Lauderdale port.

The medical examiner's office will determine the exact cause of death. The victims have not been identified.