9-year-old girl back home, hit-and-run driver at large

February 15, 2012 2:34:17 PM PST
Police are looking for the female driver of a black Honda who hit a 9-year-old girl Tuesday night then sped away.

It happened shortly after 5:15 p.m. Tuesday in the 4800 block of Merion Avenue.

Police say 9-year-old Aijahanae Johnson was near the curb when she was struck by a black Honda driven by a female believed to be in her early 20s.

Aijahanae suffered cuts and scrapes on the left side of her body and the left side of her forehead after the car catapulted her across Merion Avenue.

She was back home Wednesday after a night in the hospital.

"I don't understand how you could hit a kid, anybody's kid," said Aijahanae's mother, Petrina Newman. "How can you leave a kid out there, not knowing if she's dead or alive."

"The car was coming fast," said Aijahanae. "The car was black and the lights weren't on and they came and hit me."

"I started crying because I saw the blood, she was holding her face and she was holding her stomach," said one of Aijahanae's sisters, Dazyha Camp.

"She said, ''Akiya, am I going to die?'" said another sister, Zakiya Camp. "I just started crying and said, 'You aren't going to die, you are all right.'"

A third sister,Laniya, got a look at the driver of what she says was a dirty black Honda which sped off after hitting the little girl.

"She was in her 20's wearing a purple scarf and she had her hair back in a pony tail," Laniya told Action News.

Petrina Newman had high praise for Angela Norman, someone she has never met, who tried to follow the hit and run driver Tuesday night.

"I really want to thank that lady so if you are out there and watching, please stop by," said Newman. "I really want to thank you."

Little Aijahanae is glad to be home. She says she wants to be a doctor because they help people, but wasn't sure about the tunnel-like CAT scan machine used to asses her injuries.

"I was scared, it makes funny noises," she said, laughing. "I thought it was going to cut off my head off!"

The driver sped off and was last seen in the area of 49th and Thompson streets.

Medics rushed the child to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia where she was last reported to be in stable condition.