Woman credits Apple Watch with saving her life following carbon monoxide leak

"I started feeling weak and dizzy and my vision was going blurry," recalled Natalie Nasatka.

Sharifa Jackson Image
Tuesday, January 2, 2024
Delaware woman credits Apple Watch with saving her life
Woman credits Apple Watch with saving her life following carbon monoxide leak

SMYRNA, Delaware (WPVI) -- A Delaware woman suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning says her Apple Watch helped save her life.

Natalie Nasatka says she was preparing for her day on the morning of December 29 when she began to suffer from symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

"I started feeling weak and dizzy and my vision was going blurry," says Nasatka. "I was too weak to try to find my phone, so I used my Apple Watch and held down the side button."

That SOS feature on the watch connected Nasatka directly to 911 while her phone simultaneously sent messages to her emergency contacts with her location.

Natalie Nasatka

By this time, Nasatka says she couldn't move. The next thing she remembers is waking up with emergency responders carrying her down her stairs.

"Firefighters got me to my porch chairs where I was able to sit down, but I couldn't hold my head up. I was crying, saying 'I want to live,'" said Nasatka.

Nasatka was rushed to a nearby emergency room, where she was treated for carbon monoxide poisoning. She spent nearly 24 hours in the ER.

Rescuers couldn't find her cat, named Mary Kate, who was hiding upstairs, so they closed her bedroom door and opened a window for fresh air.

"Definitely waves of emotions, knowing how close I could have been to dying," said Nasatka. "Of course my first kiss on New Years was my cat. Picked her up, I've been saying this since I got home that, whatever our purpose here is on earth is not done yet."

She believes the leak came from her heater, and a carbon monoxide detector is something Nasatka says she did not have.

She is now encouraging people to make sure you have all the necessary sensors and detectors in your home.

"I didn't smell anything, I didn't hear anything, didn't taste anything different," said Nasatka.

Nasatka says her apartment maintenance team has since repaired her hot water heater. She also had a new carbon monoxide detector installed.