Gunman in attempted NJ murder/suicide ID'd

March 14, 2012 11:28:49 AM PDT
Authorities have identified the man who shot his girlfriend in the head, wounding her, before killing himself in New Jersey.

The Gloucester County prosecutor's office said 48-year-old Thomas Gillespie pulled the trigger inside his home in the 100 block of Barker Avenue in Logan Township.

According to investigators, Gillespie arrived home at his residence on the 100 block of Barker Avenue in Logan Township shortly before 2:00 a.m. Wednesday. Neighbors then called police reporting a domestic disturbance at the residence. While police were on their way they received word that two people had been shot.

Upon arrival officers discovered a man and a woman lying on the living room floor, both having suffered gunshot wounds to the head. The 47-year-old female victim was rushed to Crozer-Chester Medical Center where she is listed in critical but stable condition. Gillespie was pronounced dead at the scene. Police believe he shot the woman before killing himself.

The woman's 10-year-old and 13-year-old daughters from a previous marriage were home upstairs at the time of the shooting, but were unharmed. They are now in the custody of their biological father.

Investigators said a .38 handgun believed to have been used in the shootings was recovered from the house.

Gillespie and the woman, who had a three-year relationship, had no history of domestic violence, the prosecutor's office said. The two had lived together with the two girls at their Barker Avenue home for about a year. Neighbors woke up shocked this morning when they heard the news. They tell us there was no indication anything was wrong in the household - that the couple was seen as recently as yesterday outside enjoying the beautiful weather.

Neighbor Helen Justis tells us, "They're always outside. He's always washing his truck. She was always outside. This weekend they were just doing mulch work and gardening and he was washing his truck and they were happy and they were laughing. Yesterday we saw him, he waved, he seemed happy. And I wake up this morning to this."

There are still a lot of unanswered questions as this investigation continues.