Student Folake Ayiloge tells us, "I got a text message earlier from campus police stating there has been a gas leak from then on they started to evacuate certain buildings and started canceling classes."
Two dormitories and six academic buildings were evacuated late Monday morning after a contractor working on a construction site at The College of New Jersey hit a 4-inch gas main.
PSE&G responded and began repairing the leak, but it disrupted classes for a large part of the day.
The evacuation sent some students home, while others waited for the all clear out doors.
"I was in my dorm and fire alarms went off and everybody figures, 'probably a fire drill, time to go outside.' And I get outside and there's more cops then there should be for a normal fire drill," said Brian Trovillion.
Ewing is especially sensitive to the danger of leaking gas after an explosion on March 4 at a condominium complex killed one woman and destroyed several homes.
College spokesman Dave Muha explained, "Everyone is mindful of the incident in Ewing a month ago. In this case we were fortunate there was no out from the incident it was just a precaution."
No injuries were reported in today's incident.
All eight buildings were reopened about two hours after the leak was reported.
Roughly 400 students live in the two affected residence halls.