PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) -- A man was found dead after emergency crews responded to a carbon monoxide leak in Southwest Philadelphia Tuesday afternoon, according to fire officials.
The call came in just before 4 p.m. for a leak at an apartment building on the 4700 block of Chester Avenue.
Authorities say Francis Horst was found unresponsive on the first floor by his boss Cesar Gonzales.
Gonzales went to the apartment after the victim didn't show up to work. Horst was later pronounced dead.
The leak forced more than a dozen residents out of their homes.
Authorities say carbon monoxide levels were no longer being detected, but residents were unable to return Tuesday night since the power was shut off.
Deputy Fire Chief Charles Johnson said people were reporting carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms as early as Monday.
"Yesterday, two other occupants, one that was right above the deceased's apartment, wasn't feeling well and went to the hospital. (They) didn't say it was carbon monoxide but was feeling dizzy, lightheaded," said Johnson.
Displaced residents are being assisted by the Office of Emergency Management.
Gonzales says Horst worked for him for seven years at his bed and breakfast down the street. Horst worked there for 30 years in total and was employed by the previous owners.
Gonzales said his family took in Horst like he was their own and he was beloved by guests.
An autopsy will determine if Horst died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
The cause of the leak is still being investigated.