Sources: Recaptured murder suspect traveled to NYC after Philadelphia prison break

Ameen Hurst, 18, is accused of committing four murders. He escaped from the facility on May 7.

Thursday, May 18, 2023
Sources: Recaptured murder suspect traveled to NYC after prison break
Ameen Hurst, 18, is accused of committing four murders. He escaped from the facility on May 7.

PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) -- An inmate who escaped the Philadelphia Industrial Correctional Center on May 7 made it all the way to New York City and back before he was captured on Wednesday morning, Action News has learned.

Ameen Hurst, 18, is accused of committing four murders. He had been on the run since his escape, but was taken into custody in Southwest Philadelphia, according to the U.S. Marshals.

This photo released by the U.S. Marshals shows the arrest of Ameen Hurst on May 17, 2023.
U.S. Marshals

During a news conference, Supervisory Deputy U.S. Marshal Robert Clark said they were contacted by Hurst's family Tuesday evening.

Marshals said a midnight deadline was put in place for a surrender, but the deadline came and went. Two more deadlines passed in the overnight hours into Wednesday morning.

"There were three deadlines that came and went. Three deadlines. And when the sun came up, that was it. We had to press forward with our investigation," Clark said. "We wanted to end it and we did."

Clark said Marshals has several locations under surveillance. Hurst came out from one of the locations and went to get into a vehicle with his mother and brother inside. Sources say the mother was behind the wheel.

Hurst was taken into custody without incident.

Meanwhile, Hurst's brother, 24-year-old Amir Woods, was also arrested.

Woods is facing a number of charges including Criminal Conspiracy, Hindering Apprehension, Escape, and related offenses.

Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw tweeted about the capture, thanking her officers and the United States Marshals for their efforts.

Authorities provided an update on capture of escaped inmate Ameen Hurst on May 17, 2023.

"Escapee Ameen Hurst was just taken into custody at 6100 Washington Ave without incident. Special thanks to all of our investigators and USMS Philadelphia for their tireless efforts," she wrote.

Nasir Grant, 24, was also able to escape from the facility with Hurst but was captured last week.

During a news conference held Wednesday afternoon, officials were once again pressed with questions about accountability and the safety of the site.

"We're conducting an internal review on everything that happened. Both operationally and looking at facility's conditions and assessments," said Managing Director Tumar Alexander.

SEE ALSO: How an alleged killer and another inmate escaped a Philadelphia prison. Here's what we know

Three people are facing charges in connection with the escape: 21-year-old Michael Abrams, 35-year-old Jose Flores-Huerta and 21-year-old Xianni Stalling.

Xianni Stalling, Michael Abrams and Jose Flores-Huerta
Pictured: Xianni Stalling, Michael Abrams and Jose Flores-Huerta

Abrams was arrested Monday in Berwyn, Chester County.

Police said he is charged with criminal conspiracy, hindering apprehension, escape, and use of a communication facility for his alleged role in helping the inmates get away.

He is being held on $1 million bail.

Flores-Huerta, who was a suspect in a 2021 beating at Pat's Steaks, allegedly acted as a lookout for the inmates. He is charged with Criminal Conspiracy and Escape.

Stalling was charged with felony escape, hindering apprehension and conspiracy.

Documents reveal Hurst allegedly made two phone calls to Stalling, planning their escape and making arrangements.

Action News has learned that an Uber account using the first name "Xianni" was used to make arrangements for Hurst and Grant. Sources say Hurst called Michael Abrams and went with him and his brother to New York City. They made it there before the authorities knew they were missing.

Authorities believe Hurst stayed in NYC and Woods and Abrams returned to the Philadelphia area.

Hurst arrived back in Philadelphia either last Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning, according to sources.

Authorities say the inmates cut a hole in a fence at the prison around 8:30 p.m. Sunday, May 7.

The prison didn't become aware the inmates were missing until 3 p.m. Monday, May 8, according to Prisons Commissioner Blanche Carney.